Reltio Connect

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

Changing Entity Type - Non-UI Solution?

• 1.  Changing Entity Type - Non-UI Solution?

Posted 09-29-2021 13:18
    From time to time we have a reason to change an entity type for a specific entity type.  For example, between Organization and Individual.  We have been doing this manually through the user interface since the current api calls that update these entities get rejected when a type change is detected.

Are there other options for changing the type of a specific entity that do not involve manual intervention in the UI like this?  
    If we can avoid the rejects that would be useful.  If we can't - but have more than we want to do manually single file then are there other options for such fixes.  For example, is there an api call we can make or a bulk update option?  I'm still pretty new to all of this and would really like to improve our process when making these types of fixes.  I have a fix going in that will require well over 200 of these changes to be required and would like to avoid developing carpel tunnel syndrome from excessive repetitive clicking.

How this is done currently in the Reltio UI:

------------------------------
    Michelle Popovits
    Empire Life

• 2.  RE: Changing Entity Type - Non-UI Solution?

Founding Member
    Posted 09-29-2021 15:04
    Hi Michele,

When you are in the UI, open your browsers developer tools. On Chrome, if you go to inspect->network->XHR, you will see the API call that the UI is using. You can use that same call in Postman or wherever.

Regards,
    Walt 

Walt Feldman
    Solutions Architect
    Tenerity

• 3.  RE: Changing Entity Type - Non-UI Solution?

Founding Member
    Posted 09-30-2021 11:00
    We also have this issue.  Today we set the delete date and inactivation attributes on the entity type to be removed,  let that publish out to our downstream tables.   Then hard delete the entity to be removed,   then reload.    I did not know about the ability to switch in the UI, and will need to see how that affects the publish of our downstream tables.     I DO want to know more on the XHR.   I went to Developer Tools   did not see Inspect clicked on Network,   do not see XHR.     I did run the steps,  click edit, clicked entity type and changed it,  and then exported the .har created.   Not sure how to see the API command.   I don't read JSON very well but saw Post command  "headersSize": 1084,
    "bodySize": 41,
    "postData": {
    "mimeType": "application/json",
    "text": "{\"value\":\"configuration/entityTypes/IDN\"}"
    }
    },

is this what I am looking for,  it is followed by a content section that has all the attributes. 

Please guide me on if this is what you mean by XHR?

Angela Wawrzaszek
    Manager, MDM governance and Application Enablement

• 4.  RE: Changing Entity Type - Non-UI Solution?

Posted 09-30-2021 11:25
    I had exported the HAR file from the developer tools.  However, I'm not able to find the api call.  That is likely my fault since I don't know how to read these things properly yet.  I do have a colleague that has done this before so I'll hopefully I'll be able to get some time with him to help me sort out how to do that.

Michelle Popovits
    Empire Life

• 5.  RE: Changing Entity Type - Non-UI Solution?

Reltio Employee
    Posted 10-01-2021 09:37
    XHR is the XML HTTP Request - it's a little bit of a legacy term in that we use JSON rather than XML, but the concepts are the same.  This view basically lets you see the REST endpoint and the payload sent to Reltio for each action you take in the Reltio UI.

There are often multiple concurrent actions, or subsequent actions which the Reltio UI takes in response to a user action, so it is not trivial to follow, but it's all in there :)

My experience is that the easiest way to track the specific action you are looking for, is to open the Developer Tools | XHR tab, then go right up to the action you want to perform, then clear the history in the browsers developer tab and then complete the action in Reltio.  In most cases your desired API will be in the top few operations.  It is a little bit of trial and error, but it's a good way to find out how to make things work.  

Also note that some parameters are passed in the JSON payload, and occasionally others are passed in the HTTP header.  This information is visible there as well.

Dan Gage
    Principal Solution Consultant

• 6.  RE: Changing Entity Type - Non-UI Solution?

Posted 10-01-2021 10:18
    I met with my colleague and we were unable to determine the api call.  However, we did find in the reltio docs the api call that should do what we want - "Overwrite Entity Type".  However, we're running into issues with "Bad Request" error and so we continue to play with it to see what might be wrong.  

https://docs.reltio.com/entitiesapi/overwriteentitytype.html?hl=overwrite,entity,type

What we're doing:
    The example from the docs:

Michelle Popovits
    Empire Life

• 7.  RE: Changing Entity Type - Non-UI Solution?

Posted 10-01-2021 10:27
    Further details on my troubleshooting the Overwrite Entity Type api call:

Michelle Popovits
    Empire Life

• 8.  RE: Changing Entity Type - Non-UI Solution?
    Best Answer

Posted 10-01-2021 13:18
    Got it to work finally (my colleague did it not me...lol)...

curl --location --request PUT 'https://gca-test.reltio.com/reltio/api/TbJbkjL4AZRFo7B/entities/tPmpXSv/type' \
    --header 'Authorization: Bearer 97ee2e93-63d6-40af-b10c-1870456edd5a' \
    --header 'Content-Type: application/json' \
    --data-raw '{
    "value" : "configuration/entityTypes/Individual"
    }'

Michelle Popovits
    Empire Life

• 9.  RE: Changing Entity Type - Non-UI Solution?

Reltio Employee
    Posted 10-01-2021 14:23
    for others of you trying at home.....  :-)

gca-test is your reltio environment.  This will change depending on the environment being used (dev/test/prod/etc)

TbJbkjL4AZRFo7B is your tenant id.  This absolutely will change.  You can't update data in someone else's tenant!

tPmpXSv is the URI of the entity to be updated.  Of course this will change for your use.

"value" : "configuration/entityTypes/Individual" - this is the 'target' entity type.  The one you want to change it to.  The only part that will change here is the 'Individual'.  Change it to an entity in your configuration.  the rest of the line should be treated as a static string.

HTH!

Gino Fortunato
    Senior Solution Engineer
    Reltio

• 10.  RE: Changing Entity Type - Non-UI Solution?

Founding Member
    Posted 10-04-2021 11:18
    Thank you great information!   do you know if you can do this via a Crosswalk key vs. Reltio URI?

Angela Wawrzaszek
    Manager, MDM governance and Application Enablement

• 11.  RE: Changing Entity Type - Non-UI Solution?

Reltio Employee
    Posted 10-04-2021 18:56
    Hi Angela,

Not that I could find in the documentation.  You might want to consider filing an enhancement request via the Aha! portal if you have a strong use case for it.  Customer ideas are almost always the best ones!

gino

Gino Fortunato
    Senior Solution Engineer
    Reltio

• 12.  RE: Changing Entity Type - Non-UI Solution?

Posted 03-26-2024 15:01

Has Reltio deprecated this function in the new UI? 

Vivian Wu
    AbbVie