Reltio Connect

View Only
  • 1.  Can a Single Source Attribute be used for Multiple Reltio Attributes Working With RDM

Posted 01-20-2023 16:13
    Context of Discussion:

1. Source systems currently store a county id
    2. There is an RDM Lookup for counties and a separate RDM Lookup for Metropolitan Statistical Areas (MSA's)
    3. Both lookups use the source system county id values as input to RDM
    4. We would like Reltio to separately maintain the County and MSA data
    5. Creation of the entity would only specify one attribute likely as the county 
    6. Both county and MSA would retain the value from the same source
    7. Any future change thru either Hub or direct API calls would not be able to update 1 without the other
    Are there any suggestions on how to accomplish this in whole or in part.

Thanks,

Mark

------------------------------
    Mark Burlock
    Dodge Data & Analytics
    Hamilton NJ

• 2.  RE: Can a Single Source Attribute be used for Multiple Reltio Attributes Working With RDM

Reltio Employee
    Posted 01-23-2023 12:05
    Hi Mark - Thanks for your question. I would like to understand more about point 5,6 and 7. May be some example will help.

For point 5 - If county is dropdown and user chooses the data ( canonical/standard form) then what will be the logic to populate MSA?
    For point 6- Are you talking about survivorship here? Which ever source becomes the winner for county should provide OV value for MSA?
    For point 7 - I understand both should be updated together but can you share what is the logic? If user chooses some value for MSA then how will it affect county value?

Abhradeep Sengupta

• 3.  RE: Can a Single Source Attribute be used for Multiple Reltio Attributes Working With RDM

Posted 01-23-2023 13:27

Abhradeep,

Appreciate the probing questions, which is changing my ask a bit.

To help clarify, we should distinguish between API based  updates which we consume in our Ingress ETL process  as contrasted to the Reltio Hub. 

5) Creation of the entity would only specify one attribute likely as the county
               Ingress ETL :  Only provide county code info, with the expectation that a separate MSA "read only or virutual"  attribute could also be populated using a                                       separate RDM lookup
               Hub:  Only the ability to update the county attribute using the county RDM lookup values but changes would be reflected in the separate MSA "read only or                               virtual"  attribute reflecting the descriptive info from the RDM lookup

6)   
    Both county and MSA would retain the value from the same source:

This is not referring to surivorship, but more specifically for the individual crosswalk being updated. If the MSA could be read-only

to the Hub user but reflective of the data in the county code that would be what we want
    7)    Any future change thru either Hub or direct API calls would not be able to update 1 without the other

Change the ask here so that update would only be to the county and MSA could not be directly updated

In a relational DB world, i would handle the requirement in 1 of 2 ways; not clear if / how that would be handled in Reltio.

8) Only store the data in one column but at the time of display translate based on 2 "lookup tables"  and display as 2 separate display columns

9) Store the MSA as a virutal or read-only column and derive the value based on the code stored in the county column
    Hope this helps to clarify.

Thanks,
    Mark

Mark Burlock
    Dodge Data & Analytics
    Hamilton NJ

• 4.  RE: Can a Single Source Attribute be used for Multiple Reltio Attributes Working With RDM

Reltio Employee
    Posted 01-24-2023 10:11
    Thanks for the detail Mark.
    Let us put the information we have.
    We have 2 attributes - County ( Driver) and MSA ( Pure read only)

Now lets assume for source S1 we are sending C1 as county
    In mapping table C1 is mapped to C ( standard value)
    In mapping table  C1 is mapped to M ( standard value for MSA)

For ingress ETL - we should copy the value for county to MSA and post it to Reltio. The RDM mapping table should take care of it
    Now for Hub - the user will get dropdown of standard values - Like "C" for county ( as Reltio source)
    Now it needs a LCA / custom script to call the MSA mapping and put the value as per county value selected from dropdown.

This is my understanding about your requirement and one possible solution. I will check internally if team can provide any other option/suggestion.

Abhradeep Sengupta

• 5.  RE: Can a Single Source Attribute be used for Multiple Reltio Attributes Working With RDM

Posted 01-24-2023 12:38
    Abhradeep,

Is there anyway to prevent hub updates to a particular attribute, the MSA in this case?

Let me know if any other options or suggests are identified.

Thanks,

Mark

Mark Burlock
    Dodge Data & Analytics
    Hamilton NJ