Reltio Connect

View Only
  • 1.  Maximum number of relationships for an entity

Reltio Partner
    Posted 02-13-2024 17:41

I'm looking for confirmation on the recommended/maximum relationships for a single entity.  We have a requirement to link a large number of entities (>500,000 at least) to a limited set of entities (<100).  About 4 years ago, Reltio engineering rejected a similar design.

Best Practices still says 50

Configuration Best Practices

Relationship Configuration
    Max number of relationships between any two entity types: 50

In order to not exceed the maximum relationship best practice,  we're exploring a solution using RDM (which was engineering's solution 4 years ago)

I would prefer NOT to use the RDM solutions for obvious reasons.   

Confirmation or alternatives would be appreciated. 

Thanks!

------------------------------
    Robert Quinn
    Data Management Practice Lead
    imidia LLC
    Basking Ridge NJ

• 2.  RE: Maximum number of relationships for an entity

Founding Member
    Posted 02-15-2024 08:24

This looks like a data modelling problem from the current description, seems like an interesting use case. Can you throw is details on the nature of  data are you dealing with to be able to suggest some options. 

Ashish Rawat
    Sr. Manager
    Fresh Gravity
    Bangalore

• 3.  RE: Maximum number of relationships for an entity

Reltio Partner
    Posted 02-15-2024 14:55

Hi Ashish,

Thank you for your reply

Lots of use cases might encounter this limit.  For example...

We have a limited number of customer segments say (~50), we want to link our customers (>1M).  However we have Business Data about the segments and "need to" manage those as entities.

We have a limited number of Car Manufactures say (~50), we want to link our Vehicles (>20M).  However we have Business Data about the Manufactures and "need to" manage those as entities.  Yes we might have intermediate nodes (Brands) but ultimately we are going to exceed a Max relationships.

For various reasons we don't want to use RDM custom attributes.  We might even want to Match these limited count entity types.  At a minimum we want the better UI that entity types allow vs. RDM

I hope that helps.

Robert Quinn
    imidia LLC
    Basking Ridge NJ

• 4.  RE: Maximum number of relationships for an entity

Founding Member
    Posted 02-19-2024 14:03

Hi Robert,
    So if I understood your requirement.  You have an entity type(Customer Segment), where an entity can be linked to numerous other entities across entity type(Customer). In this case you can configure surrogate crosswalk for Customer Segment entity type - to avoid having too many crosswalks , and create relationships with Customers entity type. I have worked on implementations where relationship count for entities is >100k

Note: From data modeling prospective, ideally an entity type should be a physical entity. Not sure if customer segment qualifies for an entity type. Car Manufactures certainly does. 

Ashish Rawat
    Sr. Manager
    Fresh Gravity
    Bangalore

• 5.  RE: Maximum number of relationships for an entity

Reltio Partner
    Posted 02-19-2024 14:13

Thanks Ashish for the reply/ideas.

Thanks for the info that you have implementations with relationship counts >100K.  That helps a lot.  I'm probably reading the best practices document incorrectly.  that is the source of my concern about number of relationships between two entities.  

I don't anticipate too many crosswalks, but appreciate the reminder.

Robert

Robert Quinn
    imidia LLC
    Basking Ridge NJ

• 6.  RE: Maximum number of relationships for an entity

Reltio Employee
    Posted 02-15-2024 15:48

Robert, if you are creating a non-reference relationship between the entities, then I think there should not be any limitation.

In the case of a reference relationship, I believe within a given entity, you would want to limit the # of references to probably 20 or 30, and you will want to examine your reference model from the viewpoint of how events from referenced entities impact the referencing entity. Use of the Immutable property may play a role in minimizing the propagation of these events. 

Curt Pearlman

• 7.  RE: Maximum number of relationships for an entity

Reltio Partner
    Posted 02-15-2024 16:04

Hi Curt

I was hoping it was a limitation on Reference attributes.  But that's even more restrictive if I'm reading the best practices correctly

Max number of Reference attributes in a entity:e 20

It's not unusual, for even a native graph database, to have some limitations or best practice on max relationship counts

Robert

Robert Quinn
    imidia LLC
    Basking Ridge NJ