Reltio Connect

View Only
  • 1.  Recommended approach for Nested - Reference attribute combinations

Reltio Partner
    Posted 03-13-2024 06:20

I have an entity called entityA. I also have another entity entityB

entityA has an attribute attributeA(should be nested because this attribute can come with multiple entries). Within this attributeA, there should have 2 sub attributes. Where one of the sub-attribute should allow me to add/pick the profiles of entityB and another sub-attribute as a String.

I know the below structure helps achieving that. But is it a good/recommended approach to have Reference attribute under Nested attribute? Is there an alternative approach to this?

entityA (Entity)
      - attributeA (Nested)
        - attribute1 (Reference)
        - attribute2 (String)

------------------------------
    Nidheesh R
    EPAM Systems

• 2.  RE: Recommended approach for Nested - Reference attribute combinations

Reltio Employee
    Posted 03-13-2024 12:19

@Nidheesh R, does this help? 

Nested attributes must not contain reference attributes. This is because reference attributes point to other entities, and nested attributes are meant to contain data that is directly related to the parent entity.

An alternative approach to this would be to create a separate entity for the reference data and then use a relationship attribute to link the two entities. This would allow you to keep the data organized and would also make it easier to manage the relationships between the entities.

Here are the steps on how to create a separate entity for the reference data and then use a relationship attribute to link the two entities:

1. Create a new entity for the reference data.
    2. Add the attributes that you need to the new entity.
    3. Create a relationship attribute in the parent entity that points to the new entity.
    4. Add the reference data to the new entity.
    5. Link the parent entity to the reference data using the relationship attribute.

Check this out for more details: Configuration Best Practices

Chris Detzel
    Director of Customer Community and Engagement
    Reltio

• 3.  RE: Recommended approach for Nested - Reference attribute combinations

Reltio Partner
    Posted 03-13-2024 13:31

Hi @Chris Detzel, our actual implementation was exactly the same as you mentioned. But one requirement we had was, that attribute1 and attribute2 should be visible under entityA. 

Let's consider this use case where we need to provide flexibility for the tenant users to add their own custom attributes without touching the L3 configuration. That is where the thought of this approach came into the picture, where this specific attribute of the profile(attributeA which is nested), can hold all the additional custom attributes(attribute1) along with their values(attribute2) that our users are willing to add. The catch here is, attribute1 should either be added as a lookup/reference pointing to the other entity(entityB) which I specified in my question.

Adding a new facet/card for displaying this new attribute as a relationship would satisfy the first ask. But the second ask of assigning a value to this attribute that should be visible in the entityA profile would not be addressed.

I know this might sound a little complex. But I have an instinct that Reltio has an option or workaround to achieve this.

Nidheesh R
    EPAM Systems

• 4.  RE: Recommended approach for Nested - Reference attribute combinations

Reltio Partner
    Posted 03-13-2024 13:45

@Chris Detzel You can check out the CurrentApproach and RequiredApproach diagrams I have attached here to visually understand the above statement. 

The CurrentApproach shows only the key, which is the relationship. But we are expecting the RequiredApproach with both key and value pair.

Hope it makes sense.

Thanks for the help in advance, team!

Nidheesh R
    EPAM Systems

• 5.  RE: Recommended approach for Nested - Reference attribute combinations

Posted 23 hours ago

@Chris Detzel Can this approach be used for 1:M relationship. I have a product that can have list of Items that need be referenced and Item can have list of ingredients that can be referenced. 

Bharath Kuppireddy
    Bayer

• 6.  RE: Recommended approach for Nested - Reference attribute combinations

This message was posted by a user wishing to remain anonymous
    Posted 21 hours ago
    This post was removed

• 7.  RE: Recommended approach for Nested - Reference attribute combinations

Reltio Employee
    Posted 03-26-2024 10:34

Hi Nidheesh,

Per our discussion this morning, I have implemented the original scenario in your PoC tenant here: 

https://mpe-01.reltio.com/nui/XF8FAEmd8jzPkgA/profile?entityUri=entities%2F0jX6hCA

I hope this makes sense.

Kind regards,

Matt

Matthew Gagan