Reltio Connect

View Only
  • 1.  Need Examples of Survivorship Filtering

Posted 05-10-2021 15:38
    Hi folks,

Originally I posted a question in the "Question to be answered" as my first question as a member here and didn't realize that there was no way to reply back to ask for further clarification so I'm going to continue that discussion here.  In the post I had asked a question about how to do survivorship based on specific values.  One of the answers I received that I want to explore further is   Survivorship Rules Filtering.
        I would like to learn more about that and hoping someone can provide an example or some further information.  The information in the link provided doesn't tell a beginner how to even get started with it since there is just a description there with no examples that I can see.

------------------------------
    Michelle Popovits
    Empire Life
    Kingston ON

• 2.  RE: Need Examples of Survivorship Filtering

Reltio Employee
    Posted 05-10-2021 15:46
    @Michelle Popovits,

I'm tagging @Gino Fortunato, since he helped to answer the question. Hopefully he can add insight.

I agree, with the Q&A feature, it can be a little confusing. You can ask additional information, and the way to do that is to click "Answer"
    ​​

Chris Detzel
    Community Program Manager
    Reltio

• 3.  RE: Need Examples of Survivorship Filtering

Posted 05-10-2021 15:53
    Thanks Chris, ah, that's how it works.  I guess I was just looking at the replies and how to respond specifically to one of them and all I saw was "Helpful".  I'll get the hang of this community soon!

Michelle Popovits
    Empire Life
    Kingston ON

• 4.  RE: Need Examples of Survivorship Filtering

Reltio Employee
    Posted 05-11-2021 12:17
    Hi Michelle,

Sorry my first answer wasn't clearer.  I'll copy the example from the help page below (it was farther down the screen, labeled 'Example 1'):

{
      "default": true,
      "mapping": [
        {
          "attribute": "configuration/entityTypes/HCP/attributes/Identifiers/attributes/ID",     
          "survivorshipStrategy": "MinValue",
          "filter": {
            "equals": [
              {
                "uri": "configuration/entityTypes/HCP/attributes/Identifiers/attributes/Type",
                "value": "NPI"
              }
            ]
          }
        },
        {
          "attribute": "configuration/entityTypes/HCP/attributes/Identifiers/attributes/ID",     
          "survivorshipStrategy": "OldestValue",
          "filter": {
            "equals": [
              {
                "uri": "configuration/entityTypes/HCP/attributes/Identifiers/attributes/Type",
                "value": "ME"
              }
            ]
          }
        }
      ] 
    }
    First thing I would like to point out is that this survivorship tool is not available via the Sources perspective in the user interface.  If you'd like to try this, you are going to have to get your hands on some JSON.  

Next, where are we in the configuration?  Within the configuration object, there is an array called entityTypes.  We can see from the 'attribute' property in the JSON above that the specific entity type we are working with is 'HCP'.  Within the HCP object of the configuration, there is another array called 'survivorshipGroups'.  The survivorshipGroup has uri and label properties which are not displayed in the JSON above, but will be there in your configuration.  The key part is the 'mapping' array, which in this case is determining the survivorship of the configuration/entityTypes/HCP/attributes/Identifiers/attributes/ID attribute.  The structure of the URI tells us that the HCP entity type has an attribute called 'Identifiers'.  This is a nested attribute and the nest has an attribute called 'ID'.  Therefore, we are determining the survivorship of the HCP>Identifiers>ID attribute.

So how will we determine the survivorship of this attribute?  This is where the filter comes in.  The filter has an 'equals' clause.  In this case we are using equals, but any of the other valid filter types can be used.  And what is it that we are measuring to be equal?  Well, the URI in the filter points to the 'Type' attribute in the same nested attribute of 'Identifiers'.  So depending on the type of the 'Identifier', different survivorship rules will be used.  In the first case, if the 'Type' is equal to the value 'NPI', then the survivorshipStrategy is 'MinValue' which takes the least value between the competing 'ID' values.  If the 'Type' is equal to the value 'ME', then the survivorshipStrategy invoked is 'OldestValue' which takes the value with the oldest timestamp.  Notice that the filter is on a different attribute than the one we are trying to calculate.

Will this actually solve your survivorship requirement?  It depends.  If you can construct some business logic using the filter then you are good.  So if you can use another attribute as a proxy for your D/C/Recently logic, you can use this trick. But it is not always possible.  It will depend on your data and underlying relationships between the attributes.  I hope this was helpful.

Gino Fortunato
    Senior Solution Engineer
    Reltio

• 5.  RE: Need Examples of Survivorship Filtering

Posted 05-11-2021 12:58
    Thanks @Gino Fortunato for the explanation.  You're right...I didn't realize there was an example further down the screen.   I'm reviewing your explanation and see this as a kind of puzzle that I need to work out and feel like I have enough information now to start examining it.  Wish me luck!  I may have further questions once I've gotten deeper into playing with it.​

Michelle Popovits
    Empire Life

• 6.  RE: Need Examples of Survivorship Filtering

Reltio Employee
    Posted 05-11-2021 13:07
    No problem @Michelle Popovits!  Unfortunately, it still may not solve your problem.  But at the very least it is another tool in your bag of tricks.​

Gino Fortunato
    Senior Solution Engineer
    Reltio

• 7.  RE: Need Examples of Survivorship Filtering

Posted 05-13-2021 09:22
    Thanks Gino.  You're right - now that I understand it - it does not solve the problem but good to know.  I am working on another solution and hope to be able to test it out soon.

Michelle Popovits
    Empire Life