Reltio Connect

View Only
  • 1.  What are the pros and cons of Address being implemented as Nested Attribute versus a Reference Attribute?

Reltio Employee
    Posted 05-25-2021 09:54
    Can anyone share best practices? 

------------------------------
    Chris Detzel
    Community Program Manager
    Reltio

• 2.  RE: What are the pros and cons of Address being implemented as Nested Attribute versus a Reference Attribute?
    Best Answer

Reltio Employee
    Posted 05-25-2021 09:56
    @Chris Detzel,

Pro and Cons of Address as nested vs entity:
    Pro:
    • Dataload speed approximately 3.5 times higher - (With separate entity, you need to create 3 objects in Relito, entity1, entity2 and relation between entity1 & entity2, which is reduced to a single object when its defined as nested)
    • Reindexing speed approximately 2 times higher (Similar logic, you have less number of entities to reindex now)
    • C* tables took 2.5 less space (less entities, no relationships, less activity and history data)

Cons:
    • No separate location entity
    • Address is duplicated across the primary entity (Individual, Organization)
    • Location perspective not available
    • Customer 360 view is not available. You can create a pivot view using the Address, however its not available separately similar to the Location view when Address is a separate entity.
    • CRUD operations on Address is more complex when it is modelled as nested, and soft delete (end-date) of address will not be possible.

Note: The improvement in performance is based on internal testing performed on Customer 360.

Sumit Singh

• 3.  RE: What are the pros and cons of Address being implemented as Nested Attribute versus a Reference Attribute?

Founding Member
    Posted 05-26-2021 13:04
    Hi Sumit,

Great list of pros & cons, and great that you have done a performance comparison as well. Here are my experiences with using location as a referenced entity:

We loaded Reltio with data from 2 different providers. This data contained a big mix of valid addresses in CASS or SERP format, completely invalid/bogus addresses, partially correct addresses, just cities, just states, just zips and so on. In our use case, we only really want the US zip code or Canadian Postal code for targeting/segmentation.

Pros:
    • Because many entities had a relationship to the same bad address, fixing one address also fixed multiple entities.
    • As per above, deleting one bogus location entity removed it from all related individuals.
    • Ability to easily export out just the location entities for analysis/cleansing outside of Reltio

Cons:
    • Complexity of dealing with additional crosswalk with a refentity and a refrelation
    • While we have not benchmarked, a performance hit would make sense to me due to the entity and relationship volumes
    • The occasional address entity shared by thousands of individuals entities can cause unexpected update cascades

If I was starting over with clean zip code data, I would go the nested route for sure.

Regards,
    Walt

Walt Feldman
    Digital Data Lead
    Subway

• 4.  RE: What are the pros and cons of Address being implemented as Nested Attribute versus a Reference Attribute?

Reltio Partner
    Posted 05-27-2021 15:25
    Hi @Sumit Singh and @Walt Feldman,

Thanks for listing out the pros and cons! This surely helps as for any implementations these can be kept in mind to properly send address data onto the customer/workplace profiles.

Looking forward to many such useful discussions! :)

Thanks again.​​

Asmita Datta
    Consultant
    Deloitte USI

• 5.  RE: What are the pros and cons of Address being implemented as Nested Attribute versus a Reference Attribute?

Founding Member
    Posted 06-02-2021 11:32
    Great breakdown of the Pros & Cons!

While traditional MDM solutions lean toward separate Location records AND the recommended Reltio implementation favors a nested address, I do like the Location management capabilities inherent in a dedicated Location entityType (e.g., auto-merge). I've leveraged both nested addresses and the Location entityType (separate implementations) and tend to agree that a nested address is the way to go. However, as stated, that does require a different approach to Address management; especially if you have to address duplicates (pun sort of intended).

I am curious what others have done to manage nested Addresses for deduplication & cleanup efforts?

David Starnes
    Director, Enterprise Information Management & Architecture
    RedHill Biopharma, Inc.
    Raleigh NC

• 6.  RE: What are the pros and cons of Address being implemented as Nested Attribute versus a Reference Attribute?

Reltio Employee
    Posted 06-08-2021 10:05
    @David Starnes, sounds like you should create a new thread around your question: "I am curious what others have done to manage nested Addresses for deduplication & cleanup efforts?" 

Chris Detzel
    Community Program Manager
    Reltio

• 7.  RE: What are the pros and cons of Address being implemented as Nested Attribute versus a Reference Attribute?

Founding Member
    Posted 06-08-2021 11:17
    Agreed! I'll do just that. :-)

David Starnes
    Director, Enterprise Information Management & Architecture
    RedHill Biopharma, Inc.
    Raleigh NC